Back to list
Roasted Duck with Red Wine Pears & Parsnip puree
- 1 x 2kg Game Farm duck
- 2 large pears, peeled
- 500ml red wine
- 250ml water
- 60ml (1/4 C) creme de cassis (optional)
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 125ml chicken stock
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- Pre heat oven to 200C.
- Dry duck with paper towel for a crispier skin. (If possible leave duck uncovered in refrigerator to dry skin out.) Place duck on a rack in a roasting tray.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Roast for 45mins per kg until golden brown then remove duck from oven and leave to rest for 20 mins. While the duck is cooking , make the pears.
- Use a small knife to remove the base of each pear so they sit upright
- Combine the wine, water, cassis, sugar and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Add pears and cook, turning occasionally, for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the pears to a bowl, reserving 250ml of the poaching liquid. Add the stock, and vinegar to the reserved poaching liquid.
- Bring to the boil over high heat. Boil for 8 minutes or until reduced by half. Cut the pears in half
- Gently cut out the 2 breasts and the 2 legs of the duck with a sharp knife.
- Serve the duck with the pears and sauce, parsnip puree and steamed asparagus.